Monday, April 13, 2009

Rosario Tijeras




Rosario Tijeras is a book by Jorge Franco Ramos and I've read it maybe three times. The story is situated in Colombia and it's about this super gorgeous woman, called Rosario Tijeras and she's involved in the drug business, sometimes does hit jobs and is the occasional lover of big drug dealers. It's narrated by a guy that sees her in a disco and falls in love with her.
It's a really beautiful book and I feel like it's kind of poetic, although I don't know shit about poetry. Maybe I should say it's more romantic, rather than poetic, because the narrator IS in love, anyway.
I love the book, because of Rosario herself, because she's such an awesome, bad ass, ruthless, impulsive and vulnerable character and because the narrator (I can't remember his name, I think it's Antonio x_x) is SO passionate about her. And passion is a beautiful thing.
The drawing on top is a representation of Rosario and I was able to put her on paper, after I saw the movie. It's Rosario in her walking, day to day life; she has her gun in her hand, with a kind of slutty outfit and has an angry face. This drawing is USD 70.00 and it's 11 x 14 inches.
In the book she's quick to shoot whoever disrespects her or whoever she's been assigned to kill and usually shoots only men whilst kissing them.
I liked watching the movie and I liked the girl they used to play Rosario, but I don't feel they focused it properly. Because it was more about how these two close friends fall in love with her at the same time, rather than it being about her entirely and how she drags these two guys into her hurricane.
The drawing on the bottom is Rosario as a saint, because in the book she becomes a kind of a legend in her home town and some call her a saint. So I drew her in a dress with the Virgin that sicarios usually pray to, a Rosary around her neck and on her wrist, the little medallions that sicarios usually use that have a picture of baby Jesus and the Virgin. I used a picture of Patricia Arquette that I LOVE as model, for posing and shading and I thought the gesture she's doing with her hand in the picture is so curious. This drawing is also USD 70.00 and is also 11 x 14 inches.

1 comment: